Monday, November 18, 2013

Acupuncture

Lately I've been feeling like something is seriously wrong inside my head. I question if I've made the right decisions in life and if I should keep following this same path or make a major plot shift. I've been pretty stressed and full of anxiety. I contemplated medication, because I can't handle these irrational thoughts and elevated heart rate. My body is crying out that it's stressed through a very tense shoulder, a cold sore and a period that has lasted almost 2 weeks. Some hours I'm calm, some I'm numb, and others I'm on fire, lashing out. I don't want to be around people, social situations make me really anxious right now. 

I've always wanted to try acupuncture, but never needed fixing, until now. There's an acupuncturist right across from my work. I wandered over there to set up an appointment. I met the doctor and really liked her. She was a former health educator so we connected on that level. Chinese medicine is totally different than western medical beliefs so it takes openness to try a new approach to healing the whole body. I had my assessment and I'm being treated for allergies, shoulder tension and my emotional distress. She let me vent and I let her do her thing. I'm not sure if it was having someone to talk to, the acupuncture itself or just all in my head, but I left her office feeling so relaxed and I couldn't stop smiling. 

She wants to see me for a few more sessions. My insurance doesn't cover it, so it'll be an out of pocket expense, but it's something I want to try. Has anyone tried acupuncture? Share your experience with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment