Thursday, February 28, 2013

Almost Started a New Job


I applied for a program coordinator position at a non-profit organization that is literally 4 blocks from my house. I submitted my application, then contacted the HR director via LinkedIn to introduce myself and make sure she received my application. I honestly think it was a great move to director her to see what I’m about.

I went to the interview on a Wednesday. I prepped the night before by brushing up on key facts about the organization and going over what I would say about myself. I could tell they were impressed. They even mentioned that they just posted a volunteer coordinator position that they think I would be qualified for, if I was interested. I received a call the next day asking my permission to contact my current supervisor. I really appreciated that they asked me first because she wasn’t aware that I was looking into this new position. I had a quick chat with her about expecting their call and to my surprise was extremely supportive.

I got a call on Friday that I didn't get the program coordinator position, but they wanted me to come in for interview for the volunteer coordinator position the following Tuesday. I went not feeling completely in love with the position, but after hearing more about it I was interested. I received a call Wednesday saying that they wanted to offer me a position, but it wasn't going to be what I was expecting. They wanted to offer me the first position because their original choice declined. I accepted and we set my start date for 2/25/13.

I was excited, but didn't want to tell my employer yet because I wanted to live off of the high and wasn't ready to deal with everyone knowing I was leaving, wrapping up loose ends and answering questions. My plan was to wait until Monday to give my two weeks notice.

I received a little feedback about being second choice, but I didn’t care, I was just happy to have an offer and the chance to move one step closer to my career goals. The organization has a fairly good reputation for being a great non-profit to work for with exceptional benefits and I could walk to work. I was excited!

Friday I received a call from the HR director saying that she hated to tell me, but the position was being placed on hold for a month while the executives reviewed whether they actually needed the position. I was disappointed, but still had hope that they would realize they needed it. I was also really grateful that I hadn't put in my 2 weeks yet and that they told me this lovely info before I was actually in the position.

I followed up this Monday, the day I was supposed to start, and got the final answer. They have decided to shift responsibilities around among the current staff.

I noticed something really odd after I was offered the position. I was feeling really sentimental and attached to my current place of employment. I've spent three years learning about the trucking industry  and realized it was probably something I would never dabble in again. The day after I was offered the position my department had a mini field trip to the new coffee shop across the street and it hit me that I was going to be leaving these people, and that I actually really do like them. I am in no way against change. I love it, so my sights were set on the new experiences. After all of this I’m okay where I’m at. Thankfully I don’t wake up dreading work and my job allows a lot of flexibility. 

I change my mind daily about whether I should keep looking or just take advantage of the comfort and flexibility my job offers as I finish my masters degree and focus on Arriba Latinas, a mentoring program I’m building with two other amazing ladies. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Priscilla! I am very inspired by your organization. I have always dreamt of working with young Latinas, to guide them toward a brighter future than what is typically expeced of them. :) I may have to wait until I get back to Texas though, as there are not many Latinas in Hawaii.

    Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vashelle,
      Thanks for taking the time to check out Arriba Latinas. We're really excited about it. We have a lot of work ahead of us, but I'm in love with the idea of helping girls realize their potential.

      Delete