Monday, November 9, 2015

Postpartum Support

Sometimes I don't get myself. I think that I don't like to be social but I'm always out and about at social events. My husband claims he's social but hates having people visit unexpected but loves spending hours in the backyard with his friends. I like visitors but hate(accurate description) the backyard cookout scene. I think it's more of an uncomfortable dislike for drunk inappropriateness. I'm a prude in that sense. I like an easy going social drink not drunken annoying trashiness.

Back to where I wanted to go with this. Since having my baby I've found some neat local groups on Facebook. The O-Town Babywearers are my kind of crunchy people. 

I recently went to a positive postpartum group. I'm not feeling depressed but I am upset about my delivery so I thought it would be a good place to find support. I worry about the ladies in the group who are struggling with depression and anxiety. I hope they can find the help they need. 

The major things I took away from the first meeting was so many women struggle with balancing all of their roles. The struggle usually comes about from comparison and setting really high expectations. 

We went over exercises to bring ourselves back to the present moment.  

One woman mentioned one of her coping strategies is to write, especially letters to herself or the person she's mad at. 

The 3 things I want to incorporate into my week are: 
1. Don't set unattainable expectations for myself and family. 

2. When I find myself dwelling on the past or worrying about the future I'll bring myself to the present by tapping into my 5 senses and awkowledging what I'm seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting and physically touching. 

3. I need to write a letter to my midwife and possibly 3 other people I resent. I won't actually be delivering the letters but writing my feelings out might help me feel better. 





No comments:

Post a Comment